Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 9: A day of searching

United States Patent and Trademark Office

I checked out this website and it is quite fascinating... I'm reading a lot about trademarks, patents and copyrights... and why they are necessary and I have created a chart for them.

Trademark

What does it do: protect words, names, symbols, sounds, or colors that distinguish goods and services from those manufactured or sold by others and to indicate the source of the goods. Trademarks, unlike patents, can be renewed forever as long as they are being used in commerce.



Patent

What is it: A property right granted by the Government of the United States of America to an inventor “to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States” for a limited time in exchange for public disclosure of the invention when the patent is granted.


Copyright

What does it do: Protect works of authorship, such as writings, music, and works of art that have been tangibly expressed. The Library of Congress registers copyrights which last for the life of the author plus 70 years.


I am going to start designing business cards this weekend, and once I get some more information about creating a website, buying a domain name, etc... I will hopefully then continue to print them.
If you are in Baltimore in May, I am going to have a booth set up to sell my photography at one of the independent school fairs. I am excited to sell my photography. I've learned a lot since the first time I sold including customer expectations, quality, and so much more :)

PS... I also found that Radiant Photography is NOT already taken, nor is Globe Photography. Interesting... I have a dilemma now... what to officially choose... I gotta pray! But YES!!! PROGRESS!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like Radiant Photography a lot Maggie. Photography suits you..you've always been one to takes lots of pictures and they're good! Some of my favorite were the ones you took in Juarez.

    ReplyDelete